This delicious recipe was created to celebrate one of our favorite ways to travel…by trail! The Coastal Rail Trail is a 33 mile trail along the San Diego railway, that just so happens to be right along the coast! The trail comes just a few blocks away from The Center for a Healthy Lifestyle in Solana Beach, and this portion of the trail is our favorite! Turned into a gorgeous public art project, the trail in Solana Beach is covered in gorgeous mosaics, sculpture and interactive art. Come explore this wonderful way to get around San Diego and swing on by The Center, too! Just be sure to pack a healthy snack, like this Coastal Rail Trail Mix!
The recipe is in 2 parts:
Part one is “Coastal Granola” (So delicious that you can eat it on it’s own)
Part Two is our “Rail Trail Mix” (Again, so delicious you can eat it on it’s own!)
But together they are sublime! Because, really, what is a Rail Trail without the Coast?
- Preheat the oven to 325. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the canola oil, agave syrup, honey, cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla extract in a small bowl until smooth.
- Combine the oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, coconut, wheat germ, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir, making sure everything is evenly coated.
- Spread the mixture evenly on the prepared baking sheet
- Bake 25-30 minutes (stir once or twice)
- Remove the granola from the oven when golden and let cool slightly, then break into clumps while still warm.
- Let cool completely.
Rail Trail Mix
3 Cups Roasted Soy Nuts
2 Cup Dried Tart Cherries
4 Cups Carob Chips
2 lbs. Tamari Roasted Almonds
3 Cups Golden Raisins